Saturday, July 09, 2005

Lil' Yogi and hangin' with Ma and Pa.



Here's a belated "Sport" themed drawing for last week's Illustration Friday. I'm not all that familiar with yoga so this pose is probably way off the map in terms of authenticity. Truth be told, I don't really care all that much...which, I hope some of you who follow a strict yoga discipline won't find blasphemous... I don't mean any harm. I just liked the shape of my initial sketch and decided to take it to finish. If you've got a name for this pose (made up or not) I'm looking for a "title". This was drawn in Illustrator and touched up in Photoshop.

Just got back from a nice, lazy vacation visiting my parents up in NorCal. It was really lovely. Got to visit some old friends from my childhood (Hello, Dyers!!) and spend a lot of quality time with my bitchen' kick-ass parents. Basically, we shopped, we ate, we went to the movies, we ate some more, we shopped some more, sunbathed, dined al fesco, drank a lot of wine, worked on crosswords together, read magazines and books, and just plain-ol' hung-out. It was great. Did I mention that we ate... a lot? Ah, How I've missed my parents' cooking!

Thank God, Lap Swim at the local pool is in full swing. I need it more than ever now~

Dad and I took a morning and drove out to sketch and paint the scenery by a local river. Well, I guess I should say... Dad sketched and painted the scenery....from life, that is. His watercolors were really nice and I totally felt intimated because it's been so long since I've tried drawing anything from life. It's sorta like my whole "painting" issue, I guess. I ended up painting a couple of cartoony dead bugs (loosely based on the dead bugs on the picnic table we were sitting at) and a racoon strewn about in some leaves. We didn't see any racoons...but that's just what ended up happening when my pencil hit the paper. I didn't think to bring the drawings home...but maybe I can get Dad to send them to me...along with one of his sketches from that day. I feel lucky that my Dad and I share a love for drawing and painting. It means a lot to me. It was either that or I was going to have to develop a love for tying flies. ;) Mom and I share a love for SHOPPING!! So, I'm lucky for that too! Peni and Tony...I love you! Thanks for the great visit!

17 comments:

roz said...

hahaha, very cute. I have been thinking about taking up yoga. Glad to have you back!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, that you and your dad have art/sketching, etc. in common. I'd draw dead bugs on the table in a cartoony fashion too, if I were around someone who was doing a good job (and enjoying themselves) at sketching and painting scenery! Nice job on the "Sport" and "Metropolitan" IFs!

Suki said...

Your yoga pose looks pretty good. I don't think it's a traditional pose, but it could be from one of those new power yoga classes. I like your illo style--it's fun!

paige said...

Thanks Roz, Paula and Sukihoshi24!!

Yoga is something I'd like to try but it's such a damn fad here in LA that I'm sort of waiting for the whole thing to die down. Ha! Like that's gunna happen. Maybe I'll just get some tapes. Oh,like I did with Taebo and Windsor Pilates. Both of which I watched with a glass of wine. Hmph!

Paula, I have a feeling you WOULD draw dead bugs too!!! Absolutely!

Suki: Not traditional!?! Than surely it's from one of those new power yogas, like you mentioned. Or maybe I can start my own class. Last week I made up a slew of "water aerobic" and (solo) "synchronized swimming" moves while playing around in my parents pool. Thank god no one saw me doing this. Why I'm telling you guys???? Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps I want the world to really know what a geek I am!!

Eliane said...

Isn't the fold in that leg somehow the wrong way around? To me it looks like the thigh should have been drawn further down, instead of the calf. But maybe it's more yoga like this way.

paige said...

Elaine, I think you're correct. I'll make that quick fix! Thank you very much for pointing that out!

Petunia Press Books said...

I love this little yogini (female practitioner of yoga)!! She is adorable. You have a lot of talent! I think this pose could be considered a variation on the "Crescent" pose, so named because the curve of the back has the potential to look like a half-moon. In full crescent, the back leg rests on the toes and points towards the back of the room while the front leg stays bent at up to a 90 degree angle. You have a great instinctual eye!

Glad I found your site. Check mine out: yogiinla.blogspot.com

J-Ma

sunlight said...

hey ,
the yoga gal looks like a cross between an indian-oriental-mogolian, cute !

I dont tink this is a yoga pose though, looks more like a bellydance or some kinda indian folk dance - bollywood style.

its fun, though....oh, my heart palpitations....

cheers.

Abs said...

i must say a wonderful blog n site that you have.. if u got the patience.. i need ur help.. plsss.. abhinandana@gmail.com

Fábula said...

I've just found your blog...
Your illustrations are really great! :-)

Greetings from PORTUGAL!

Anonymous said...

your illustrations are sooo cute! they're colourful and so chubby. totally cute. at last, some cute chubby drawings, am getting tired of those stick thin cartoons. *laughs* keep up the great work babe!

paige said...

Thanks you guys!

Sunlight: you're right. I think I will think of this girl as less "yoga" and more as if she was practicing for a bollywood movie dance! yah!

inlandchi said...

Hi. Nice site. Yoga Girl seems to be doing the "Oh"--spelled out by her arm and body positions.

Looks like there's a lot of interest in your cartoons, could fame and fortune be right around the corner?

Anonymous said...

Totally new to this blogging stuff. Followed a link to Blogger.com from the BBC News website. Clicked Buzz and found your Blog. Brilliant. Love your style of drawing.

Keep it up.

Dan
Tempsford, UK

ASAM said...

Love your artwork

Unknown said...

For improving your chances of gaining you ought to select this solution so that you could be in great deal. buying usa facebook likes

Unknown said...

Nothing at all is free of cost nowadays, but insure that you Buy facebook reviews exclusively from the valid sources for successful reputation on the web. buy 5 star facebook reviews