Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Imposter's Daughter

The Imposter's Daughter

Please check out the beautiful graphic memoir, "The Imposter's Daughter" written and illustrated by Laurie Sandell. Out in bookstores July 29th!
** BTW, I colored the book from cover to cover.

How'd that happen? Well...

In May 2008, I got an e-mail from a writer living in New York who wanted ME to color her graphic novel. To which I replied "Hells YES!". I did so because first, it sounded so cool and well, quite frankly I wanted to be very busy with a "perfect summer gig!". In reality, it took much, much longer than the summer though. The assignment pretty much took the entire year. Most of the time, I was happy to color away, reading Laurie's book as the pages came in. During the course of this last year, Laurie and I traded daily e-mails often times discussing men- "He said what?!" or the election -Yay! Obama! or any number of random thoughts. It was fun. We met a couple times for coffee, here in Los Angeles, when she'd flown in to interview some über famous celeb. It was a strange and awesome experience getting to know someone like that. There were times I felt challenged by this assignment too. There was so much to do that there was very little time for working on my own art or for making any extra money either. But new pages of the book would arrive with e-mails coinciding and I'd get another glimpse at the story unfolding before me. I could relate to so much she shared about herself in both her book and correspondence...even though our lives are vastly different. And let's face it, because the woman is a very good interviewer, I pretty much told her my whole story too. I think I felt comfortable blabbing about myself to her because I was witnessing how she was willing to put herself out there to tell her own story. I have a great amount of respect for that.

So please check out this book! Check out her book readings if you're in either NYC, Los Angeles, San Fran or Portland in August. It's an honest, entertaining, humorous, and compelling read. You might find a bit of yourself in there too. And, if I don't say so myself....it's color ain't too shabby. ;)

www.lauriesandell.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you found each other... Looks like it was a mututally beneficial collaboration. Can't wait to see it. Love you-E

paige said...

Thank you, Erin. Love you too! xo

Antrese said...

Wow Paige, it looks great!!

I''m looking forward to reading it! And seeing the fabulous collaboration! Anyone who has the guts to put themselves out there like that deserves kudos. The simplest things are often the hardest, right?

Congrats!

Marie said...

This book looks hilarious - (I went on Laurie's website and checked out her early childhood drawings, too. I like her style!). And as always, I LOVE your artwork (or coloring, in this case). I'll be looking for it when it comes out. Congrats, Paige!!!

paige said...

Ah! I love you girls!! xoxoxoxoxo
Someone say anything about free Jazz somewhere tomorrow night?

Anonymous said...

I see there's a reading in LA on August 13 - I think we should go!

I checked out the site too - it made me smile Paige Pooler Illustration is outranking Glamour!

Cheers, Al

BrooklynLaurie said...

Working on this book with you, Paige, was the best part of the whole experience. First of all, I am in awe of your talent; every time I look at the book I am amazed at how the colors you chose really brought the book to life. I never even had to give you input because I loved your color sense so much. All the way through, it was "Yep, love it. Great. Perfect. Keep going!" I am so lucky to have collaborated with you!!

paige said...

Thank you, Laurie! It was my pleasure! Wishing you tons of success with the book. Tried looking for it at Borders last night...wasn't there yet. Will try Barnes and Noble today!!

Drazen said...

I'll keep my eyes open for this Paige. Congratulations.
I like the bunnies and deer ..makes me want some pancakes!

Ufa88kh said...

Thanks for showing that kind of knowledge on your portal.You have done all good.I love to see you again with some new content.
wordpress
blogspot
youtube
ចាក់បាល់